Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Repost: Antelope Canyon


I've been out of touch for the last year, but have not forgotten the many dear friends I made on line.With apologies for the long absence, I hope to reach out and reconnect with each and every one of you.


I'm beginning with a repost, in part because my very rusty skills are in need of a jump start. I am also inspired by the work of photographer,Eric Pouhier, recently brought to my attention by my brother, Martin.     




On a road trip to Utah a few years ago,my husband and I made a detour into northern Arizona.









I had always 
been 
fascinated by 
pictures I'd 
seen of slot 
canyons 
and a stop 
at Antelope Canyon 
was definitely 
on my 
bucket list.


The Upper Canyon did not disappoint, though we did not get as much time to look as we had hoped. A rain storm approached and we were quickly hustled out.

The very same forces of water that formed the glorious swirls of sandstone over time also present considerable danger to unwary tourists who fail to heed the warnings of flash floods.


(My regular readers will know that this only peaks our interest further!)








Grey and stormy though the day was, the sandstone walls simply glowed in what little light filtered down.





Seen from above, there is little indication of the beauty that    lies beneath.





Once plodding through water, even our foolhardy selves were forced to admit it was time to leave, but I know it will not be the last time we visit this wondrous place.



14 comments:

Lmkazmierczak said...

Bear With Me....Spectacular♫♫

Carver said...

Wow, those are absolutely superb shots of a sublime place. Carver, ABC Wed. Team

Debra She Who Seeks said...

It's hard to believe that such a beautiful place exists!

Chris said...

Hi Lynette, greetings from Northern Ontario. I'm just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

Roger Owen Green said...

wow, this is SO cool!
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Katy Cameron said...

Oh I loved the chance to get down there when I was there - we were super lucky to find a trip going there, as I hadn't realised how far it was from the Grand Canyon village (everyone had just said it was at the canyon, which, I suppose, it is, just 150 odd miles upstream!)

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Spectacularly beautiful photos, as always. I am amazed at the look of the landscape - no, one wouldnt know the beauty that lies beneath if they just drove past. The glorious whorls and spirals look sculpted - by a Major Artist's Hand.

Chubskulit Rose said...

Spectacular!

I am playing catch up with ABC this week. Sooo busy!

Charcoal Sketches, come and see.
Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

Mama Pajama said...

wow, that's just gorgeous - thanks for posting!

Zimbabwe said...

Oh wow, I want to go to Arizona, those photos are simple amazing. Thank you so much for letting us see this wondrous place through your eyes. Much appreciated. Have a great thanksgiving Diane

rapunzel said...

Absolutely amazing!!! Such wonderful photos made me feel I was there with you.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

YAY! You're back! On my blogroll your post didnt update, so I will keep an eye out for you till Blogger remembers you! You were missed, and these photos are SPECTACULAR. I can only imagine how glorious it was to be right there in person.

Hey, have you ever thought about going to Haida Gwaii? SPECTACULAR up there, ancient and powerful. I so wish I could see it this lifetime.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Susan Musgrave lives up there now, she has the coolest BandB......

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

These are wonderful Lynette and I am very glad to see you back!!!