Thursday, April 28, 2011

The A - Z April Challenge: X

X is for Xerus Rutilus
.

.
The Unstriped Ground Squirrel is a species of rodent native to East Africa.
.
.
Inhabiting open woodlands, this ground squirrel lives in colonies similar to those of North American prarie dogs and exhibits much the same behaviour.
.
.
.
While considered pests by local farmers, these little charmers are often kept as pets and given free run of the house.
.
.
.
For more A - Z posts, be sure to pop by Arlee Bird's site and see what others have done with the letter X...
.

8 comments:

Jo said...

Hi Lynette, these are similar to the tree squirrels found here in the valley. They live and breed in our ceiling but I often see them "flying" from tree to tree! Thanks for an interesting post once again. Jo

Katy Cameron said...

Mightily impressed you found an 'X', I don't think I'd have known where to begin!

adrielleroyale said...

So cute!! I'm actually a little sad to see this A-Z journey nearing it's end... :( But it sure has been a pleasure though! :)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

X -- well played!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Cute little critter with an ostentatious name:) Clever you, finding an X! They do like like our western chipmunks dont they?

jabblog said...

I like squirrels! I like the noises they make, the way they play together, their agility.

Kay L. Davies said...

I agree with Janice. I like squirrels, too. They're such fun to watch. I never thought of them as an X word, however. Learn something new every day, so I guess this is mine for today. Thanks, Lynette.
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel
PS: My verification word is thelazat, as in, pointing at a strange animal, "What thelazat?"

Pat said...

How fun to have a squirrel as a "pet." They are so cute (perhaps farmers might not think so).