Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Signs, Signs: Danger!

My mother always said there was not an ounce of sense in my entire body!
If you’ve read earlier posts, you might know that I sometimes act before I think.

.
.
I was therefore dismayed at the Cliffs of Moher in the west of Ireland, to have choice snatched out of my hands, forcing me to be wise in spite of myself. I’d waited a long time to see these cliffs, eagerly anticipating going close to the edge and peering over, as I’d done with cliffs as a child.


My adventuresome spirit never stood
a chance!
 .
Sturdy slate barriers edged the walkways and multiple signs warned of danger at every turn.

I itched to climb over the barriers in spite of this sign.....
though I would never dream of disturbing a bird's nest!
And had I made it to the edge, I would have been very careful not to let this happen!
In the end, I let common sense prevail.
My mum would have been so proud of me....
.
I'm linking this post to the wonderful meme, Signs, Signs, hosted by Lesley. To see more signs from around the world, check out the link below...
.
http://signs2.blogspot.com/

17 comments:

Kay L. Davies said...

I'm very proud of you, too, Lynette. Better some itching to be bad on your part than a major disaster on the top of your head.
Luv, K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Jo said...

I'm proud of you too, Lynette. What scenes and what scenery. (((Hugs))) Jo

Marvin said...

I join the chorus singing "proud of you, Lynette". Besides, had you ventured too close to the edge, we might not have all your wonderful travel photos to view. :-)

Andy said...

Beautiful place to visit. Reminds me of the shoreline in Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, Canada. You must also be proud of your mother for such a brilliant upbring.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

A good time not to be a scofflaw!

Unknown said...

Your mum would have been proud; however, your curiosity must be the source of your great creativity and artistic eye, so glad you are not always so cautious.

Angela said...

Good girl!! It's beautiful there.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Such high and beautiful cliffs. Must have been wonderful to be there, remembering your girlhood..........but I know the feeling of hating to see natural wildness and beauty "contained" and tamed.

Unknown said...

So much beauty!

adrielleroyale said...

Beautiful sights! Still though it really is rather annoying sometimes when everything is so dang "safe". Where is there room for an adventurous spirit anymore? *sigh*

Anonymous said...

Gosh...I'm the exact opposite! I hate heights (even on TV when they shoot from high up looking down...I get queasy!)

jabblog said...

Well done for resisting the urge. That can be soooo hard sometimes:-)

Katy Cameron said...

Oh I have pictures of me on the edge of those very cliffs, you should have gone after 5 pm, when you can climb down with gay abandon ;o)

Carver said...

Very beautiful place and congratulations on common sense (not something I've ever been good at).

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

LOL! I'm a devout coward, and you amaze me.
Mad Kane

Inger-M said...

The west coast of Ireland is high on my Go to list. I'll be very careful when I get there!

Pat said...

Beautiful cliffs. You were quite an adventurous girl! I was always a timid little chicken. I love the signs--very understandable!