Monday, August 2, 2010

No Entry!

 
  
Because we spent more time this weekend
in places we shoudn't be, I thought to repost this piece about our tendency to trespass!
I am quite unable to resist the lure of a "Do Not Enter" Sign.
.
Whether it reads, "No Trespassing",
"Entry Prohibited" or "Access Denied", I see only an invitation, clear proof that something ahead is interesting enough for me to explore!
.
I am not proud of my insubordination in thes matters, but recognize that curiosity will always get the best of me. A rebel husband is my ally in this area... together we've pushed the boundaries of what might be considered intrusive or even dangerous. An otherwise respectable middle-aged couple, we turn into mischievous children when confronted with the forbidden.
.
.Few things are more alluring than abandoned buildings...to wander through the detritus of other peoples' lives...to imagine their home in its prime...and ponder the circumstances that left it to ruin. Barns emptied of livestock...doors hanging off the jamb...rooms that echo with silence...all are an irresistible draw to me.
.
If I have my camera with me, all the better...pictures of deserted spaces speak volumes, and I will always want to listen to the stories they have to tell.
.
I know I am not alone in my fascination with derelict buildings. What forbidden territory have you entered lately?
.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lynette, it's a good thing we live too far apart to get into trouble together, investigating all of the places posted "Do Not Enter"! It's like a red flag in front of a bull, is it not? The lure of a broken window, shreds of curtain dancing in the breeze... forbidden fruit, indeed! Glad to know you did some poking around and enjoyed it so much! Your post made me smile. Take care, Lynette!
xoxo
Karen

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I especially love the cobwebby window. What an eye you have!

Unknown said...

Those signs are silly, anyway!! Your post made me smile, as I often think do not enter are for other people who don't know what they are looking for!!!
oxo
lynn

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Bad, bad to the bone, you scofflaw!

Lynette Killam said...

Wow..thanks, Debra! A new word..and a new title I'll wear proudly...LOL!